Wednesday 23 March 2011

Elizabeth Taylor


Elizabeth Taylor grew from a precocious child star until she became one of the world's most famous movie stars.
A publicity magnet, she appeared eleven times on the cover of Life Magazine. Success is a great deodorant.”
She received five Best Actresses nominations and two Oscars. If someone's dumb enough to offer me a million dollars to make a picture, I'm certainly not dumb enough to turn it down.”
She was married eight times to seven different husbands. “I’ve only slept with men I’ve been married to. How many women can make that claim?”
At one point during her life-threatening illness – pneumonia - while filming Butterfield 8 (1960), she was pronounced dead. Richard Burton believed she suffered from becoming too famous too early in her life – and that it lead her to befriend others who experienced the difficulties brought on by early fame.  I haven't read any of the autobiographies about me.”

“It is very strange that the years teach us patience - that the shorter our time, the greater our capacity for waiting.”

When I was twelve, I saw a re-run of Jane Eyre on TV. I identified with that movie totally! I started reading the book the next day.  

8 comments:

  1. Ha, not played by Elizabeth Taylor she wasn't plain! Taylor really was a beautiful woman, most of us just saw her in later years but seeing pictures of her in her prime are breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth Taylor doesn't play Jane, she plays Jane's best friend, the one who dies due to neglect in the orphanage. (Helen?)
    I think...going off my memory here.
    Anyway, great actress and great tribute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karen
    She was one of the children in Jane Eyre. I knew her from her Michael Jackson period.

    Hi Heather
    She was a great actress. I remember my parents arguing over her - usually related to the marriages ;) She was huge to them.

    Hi Laura
    I checked - you are right. No wonder I remember crying buckets when Helen died. Even knowing that now, I can't see the actresses that way around. How weird is the human brain? OMG: Orson Wells was in the Jane Eyre? The things you find when you check.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She was such a great actress. I loved her in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof with Paul Newman and her portrayal as Martha to Richard Burton's George in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf was absolutely spellbinding. She will be sorely missed. She was truly the Queen of Hollywood.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sad when we lose one of the icons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Anne
    I love see Cat on a Hot Tin Roof is on one of the grey movie channels. I would watch it from any point in the narrative and I realised I always enjoyed it - I made an active choice to find out where it was and watch it! All the characters are stunning.

    Hi Ivy
    Her eyes were amazing. I borrowed them for Selene in Edgware.

    Hi Jemi
    It is sad to lose someone so significant they are like part of the fabric of the world.

    ReplyDelete