Friday 25 March 2011

WWF's EARTH HOUR - MAKE, DO AND MEND... ON A GLOBAL SCALE

People across the world will be taking part in 
EARTH HOUR.
As much as I wonder about planets far across the universe, I know of only one that will sustain human life. Good job, we are already there.
In terms of our carbon footprint, over the last 100 years people have gone from tip-toeing across the planet to stamping on it. Since records have been kept, scientists can prove that the Earth is warming, sea levels are rising, more areas are prone to droughts, the intensity of hurricanes are increasing and the sea is more acidic.
Reducing the impact our energy system has on that planet must be a good thing.
On 26 March 2011, 8:30pm, the WWF urges everyone  to switch off their lights - for an hour. 




In 2010, 128 countries and territories joined the global display of climate action. Lights on famous buildings and landmarks, from Asia Pacific to Europe and Africa to the Americas, were switched off. People across the world. turned off their lights. I did my weekly shopping, which might be considered to be cheating.

Earth Hour is organised by WWF, one of the world's largest and most respected independent conservation organisations. Its 
mission is to stop the degradation of the Earth's natural environment and build a future where people live in harmony with nature. The alternative is not a pleasant thought.


WWF hope as many people as possible will join them and mark the hour by turning out their lights. Parties, to celebrate doing this as part of a community, are an optional extra.




WHAT WILL YOU BE ABLE TO DO FOR EARTH HOUR?


I'll be reading Beth Revis' Across the Universe, by candlelight.

7 comments:

  1. If I'm home I'm going to do the same: read a book by candelight.

    That's a powerful video.

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Medeia
    I hope you enjoy your book or whatever else you decide to do.
    I'm quite looking forward to my candle-powered reading session. ;)
    Have a great weekend - back at you :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad your posting on this. I posted the other day on global warming and asked readers to think about what we need to do to make changes!

    I won't be at home today but perhaps tomorrow we'll do an hour of lights out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I wish I'd seen this earlier. I'll do my part tomorrow; even if it doesn't have the impact of participating today.

    Thanks for sharing this however.

    .......dhole

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Danette
    I always think it is easier to participate when you're out. ;) We put night lights, in their glasses, in every room. It made for an atmospheric evening :D

    Hi Donna
    Good luck with your Earth Hour! The really hard core participants try to unplug everything non-essential. That is hard. Lights out was easy and great fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had a two hour power cut due to careless workers in another village! It was a pleasant candlelit evening and a good feeling we had joined in with EH. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We had our dinner by candlelight!! Found you from the A-Z Challenge, it sounds like it’s going to be so much fun (with a bit of stress thrown in) and I can’t wait to get started!! I’m now following your blog on GFC and I hope you have a chance to check out my blog.
    Monica
    http://oldermommystillyummy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete