Wednesday 2 March 2011

WORDS HAVE POWER - THIS IS ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE LINE

I like you just the way you are, drunk and dancing at the bar, I can't wait to take you home so I can do some damage
I like you just the way you are, drunk and dancing at the bar, I can't wait to take you home so I can take advantage.

Brian McFadden has a team working with him to help him make all important decisions. I keep trying to imagine the decision making process that lead to him releasing this track. I'd put the video for it here but I don't want to inflict it on you.


Brian McFadden continues to defend his new single against allegations it glorifies date rape - and has even said he will give all the profit from the song to a charity which supports victims of rape. I bet the victims of rape are relieved - that will put them totally at ease.


Words have power. Brian McFadden is too influential to wield them carelessly.


I'M FEELING ONE DEGREE AWAY FROM IRATE; DO YOU THINK I'M OVER-REACTING?

8 comments:

  1. no, I don't. I'm not even published yet but I still try to be careful what I say on my blog and when I comment. But to be fair, he's not the only artist who has been offensive toward women or some other group; think Galiano. Sadly, there will probably always be people like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's in poor taste, but I've certainly heard far worse in a song.

    That being said, he looks like a douche.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No. It is a good lesson for all of us. As writers, what we publish is going to last a long time, even if we aren't the next great author. Before I tackle projects that might contain a difficult cultural topic, I think it through carefully. But even the everyday things we blog about can be misconstrued.
    Nancy
    N. R. Williams, The Treasures of Carmelidrium

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marcy and Brad
    It is true that there have been several well-publicised stories of singers who vent maliciously about different races or genders. I'm shocked because Brian McFadden had such a clean-cut, boy-band background. He is the father of small girls too.
    The use of the words "do some damage" linked to "take advantage" is premeditated and horrible.

    Hi Patti
    It is even more horrible when listened to with the pop-py up-beat music. Hannibal Lecter could have penned a similar version of this song.

    Hi Nancy
    I agree, it is important to consider the affect words might have on a wide ranger of readers or listeners. Brian thinks its a love song - it doesn't pass as a lust one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not good. I think you are on target. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Margo
    It's not often things get to be overtly and insidiously horrible: the pop tune jangles and the words are foul.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not sure how rap whatever-you-want-to-call-them (not singers) and pop stars continue to get away with this... I want to shake the young people (including my daughters!) for buying it in the first place. Can we not get them to see what this is about and reject it? Why does being popular excuse some from behaving with certain morality? You're not overreacting but the kids have got to quit buying this crap! Especially the young women.

    ReplyDelete