Monday 20 May 2013

GIVE YOUR MC REASONS NOT TO CARE

MAY IS HOSTED BY WRITING TIPS BY WRITERSHand in Hand, DONALD MAASS'  TWEETS ON CREATING THE PERFECT NOVEL ;)  and SECTIONS INSPIRED BY THESE:
DAVID DRAKE
Do you see how joined-up I can be? ;)

DONALD MAASS WRITE TIP #93

What does your MC most need to know about him/herself? Give him/her 3 reasons not to care…then tear them down

“The human workers are trapped in the open. You can’t tell me you can stand there and watch while they suffer,” said Rose.
Nyne closed his eyes. “I may take a step away from the window. Maybe put my fingers in my ears.”
“Don’t you care about them?" she asked. "But the wolves will rip them apart!”
“That may be the one time they won’t be insisting that whoever made the mess should remember to tidy it up.”
Rose stared at him in bewilderment. “You have to care.”
“There is no care in Cared For–just so much rejection.” Nyne took a step away. “Care costs about £8 an hour and it doesn’t give change.”
“You don’t care?” Rose held out a hand towards him.
“They taught me well,” he said. His breath hissed through his teeth. “I don’t care.”
“There’s no reason to be mean. That’s not fair. You push everyone away.”
Nyne blinked. He dug his fingers into the spaces between the bricks under the window sill. “I don’t mean to be mean - chalk that down to my Forcefield of Sarcasm.”
“Aren’t they like your family?”
“Yeah, sure,” he said angrily and kicking at the wooden skirting board he stepped away from the window and folded his arms. “I’m sure, if that was me out there they’d all care enough to line for the job of standing shoulder-to-shoulder beside me – hell they’d put themselves between me and the terminal trouble.”
Everything in the old cottage fell silent. Rose frowned. She nodded. “I would.”
Nyne let out the breath he hadn’t realised he’d been holding.

What does your MC need to know about him/herself? 

DOES S/HE CARE?

No comments:

Post a Comment