Thursday 2 May 2013

Can YOUR MC see what no one else has noticed?


MAY IS HOSTED BY WRITING TIPS BY WRITERS, DONALD MAASS'  TWEETS ON CREATING THE PERFECT NOVEL ;)  & SECTIONS INSPIRED BY THESE:

“Write even when the mood isn’t right. You can’t tell if what you’re writing is good or bad while you’re writing it.” ~ Cory Doctorow

DONALD MAASS WRITE TIP 76

Character-drive WIP? How can your MC’s family, friends, town, times or way of seeing become odd, unique, less ordinary?

“Yes, we butt our houses up together to cling on but while we shine up our windows – supposedly so we can see out – we hang our curtains facing in to give us something safer to look at. But the shadow of the mountain falls over us, tree roots break our best laid foundations, springs erupt, the roads crack, weeds push through wherever they please. Can’t you see what’s happening? It’s only a matter of time Earth claims back what we took.”

Are you writing character-driven fiction? How did your MC notice s/he notice his view of the norm was not in step with everyone around?

6 comments:

  1. That's a great quote from Cory Doctorow.

    My current WIP is more character-driven than anything else I've worked on. It's interesting to see things differently through her perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi GE
      I'm intrigued. I know your first WIP was epic. Focussing in on one character's perspective must be refreshing.

      Delete
  2. In my most recent WIP, I had multiple points of view. One character, a member of a cult, becomes very uncomfortable that she sees things differently than her beloved fellow cultists, and tries to suppress difference. Another POV, the leader, disdains and longs for individual thought among her followers. POV elements often bleed into personal struggles. I think those work out naturally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the sound of your WIP I've read books with alternating POV; I find they keep you focussed and offer insights of which you would otherwise be deprived.

      Delete
  3. That's a geat snippet! I love the viewpoint - we are becoming more and more internalized!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jemi
      I was just having fun with the next Donald Maass writing tip. I read the phrases, write a little and see what turns up ;)

      Delete