Monday 13 May 2013

#88 Did you put your MC on a tall enough pedestal?

MAY IS HOSTED BY WRITING TIPS BY WRITERS, Hand in Hand, DONALD MAASS'  TWEETS ON CREATING THE PERFECT NOVEL ;)  and SECTIONS INSPIRED BY THESE:

Patrick Rothfuss has minimal, but essential, advice ;)
DONALD MAASS WRITE TIP #88

When your MC makes a mistake, who’s let down? Earlier, build up that character’s high regard of your MC

“I don’t want to say I’m disappointed like I feel all-Love’ya. Don’t that slide out easy when there isn’t any rough feelings to slow down the pace?
I thought you were the one thing in the world I could rely on.
The thing about disappointment is it seems it comes with the idea that I just lost something that never existed.”

Did you put your MC on a pedestal so, when he made a mistake, he had a long way to fall?

5 comments:

  1. I think I did. Even I cried when he screwed up, and I was writing the story.

    ......dhole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Donna! I can sooo see you doing that!
      I keep going off on re-write tangents -- in my wip -- after I've written experimental pieces, for the blog, based on Donald Maass' writing tip Tweets.

      Delete
  2. Good point! I've never thought of that. I'll have to watch more closely how I write my MC...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tend to do the opposite--send my character down first and see if s/he can climb out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That seems like odd advice from Maass, only applying to very specific stories. Huckleberry Finn wouldn't benefit from him being put in higher regard. I guess for Fantasy about kings and such?

    ReplyDelete