Tuesday 14 May 2013

Are you sending your protagonist somewhere especially frightening?

MAY IS HOSTED BY WRITING TIPS BY WRITERS, Hand in Hand, DONALD MAASS'  TWEETS ON CREATING THE PERFECT NOVEL ;)  and SECTIONS INSPIRED BY THESE:


Gene Wolfe...with the hardest advice for thedébut novelist to follow.



DONALD MAASS WRITE TIP #89

What’s the place your protagonist must enter at the end? Earlier, make it a place of fear.

“Just dive down, and find the scroll. Once you have it safely in your pouch, you can swim out as fast as your strong arms and legs can pull you," Garra's voice was hard. "A straightforward task. It’s not as if you’ve never swum through the Clar’s watery clasp before."
Versa refused to meet her mother's determined gaze. "I caught my cloak," she said. "No matter how I pulled, it would not tear."
"You were snared in the stony embrace?" The hands that reached for her curled into fists, as Garra moved towards her daughter. "Yet you are here? He let you go."
"He bides, Mother. I left my dignity, with my clothes, in that embrace."
"I recall. But, that was before – before you rescued Heille? You re-entered Clar’s Cavern for her, but you won't retrieve the scroll that proves our entitlement to our ancient lands?"
Versa stared at Garra without expression. "They say, if the Clar claims you for his own, he’s a jealous lover," she said. "I freed myself once. And sneaked round, and away, behind his back the next. If I go to him again, he’ll hold me firm. This time, I fear he’ll make me his.”

Where are you sending your protagonist so they can be really afraid?

6 comments:

  1. That's a great snippet! My current protagonist is going to be stuck in the bush with a killer. Fun times! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jemi
    Poor MC, I don't think I'd like to hang out in the bushes with a killer ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great excerpt! My protagonist is going into the haunted east wing to dig a long-dead baby up from under the floor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda
      Your protagonist is on a short but frighting mission. I wish her luck, a baby like that, of the long-dead persuasion, tends to be a might tetchy ;)

      Delete
  4. My protagonist is heading into a magical place....where here greatest fear rests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Summer
      Your protagonist sounds like she is in for quiet a challenging experience, I hope she is brave enough to overcome.

      Delete