Monday 27 May 2013

AT YOUR MOST FEARLESS, WHAT WOULD YOU WRITE?

MAY IS HOSTED BY Hand in HandDONALD MAASS'  TWEETS ON CREATING THE PERFECT NOVEL ;)  and SECTIONS INSPIRED BY THESE:

SCOTT EAGLE


DONALD MAASS WRITE TIP #98

Imagine that a more fearless writer than you creates an event for your story. What is it? Use it.

With delicate movements of both hands, Leeah drew the binding circle and with little more than a thought she pulled it taut. A step in any direction sent her rebounding back, arcing up before falling into the centre again. As she learned the strength of the structure she’d woven, she reinforced its integrity. She judged her movements with care. The balance between carefree and reckless was essential if he was to be drawn into the sphere without activating his innate sense of self-preservation. On the other side of the room, Apol laughed out loud.
Leeah ran towards the wall. This time she was able to race a few steps higher before the power she’d incorporated threw her spiralling up and over. She wondered what else she could do to draw him in.
But he moved fast, blurred into invisibility. The force of his arrival knocked her backward, and they sank slowly together towards the chalky dust she’d sprinkled over the floor. The success of her plan rested on the fact that he would not realise the danger before she was ready. Some of his strength must be bound in earth if she was to rid the world of the parasite. To make sure he remained ignorant, Leeah gripped his shoulder and threw all her weight to one side. He grinned up at her. Let her move them so when they landed she straddled him.
Apol reached out and ran his finger through the energy-absorbing powdered rock. He turned his head to confirm what his body must have already told him. It was only then that, eyebrows drawn together, he looked at the gold blade that had already pierced through clothes and skin. Guided by his rib bones, it had cut through to the muscle that cradled his life force long after rhythm ceased to rock it. “Hey, friend.”
“We’re not friends,” said Claire as she leaned a little harder on the dagger. “How could we ever be anything as uncomplicated as friends?”
 “This is a bit permanent… for a break up. Think about this for a minute–”
“I have thought… who said love’s got anything to do with thinking – In my head, I always knew I shouldn’t love you. I hate what you make me feel. Do you think I liked knowing what you did for a living?”
“You make me sound like a banker.”
“You are soo much worse.”
Keeping still, Apol stared warily at the blade that was sinking into his body. “You’re not really going to kill me.”
“You aren’t really alive.”
“I’m hurting plenty for a dead man.”
“You really shouldn’t remind me about you and dead men.” Leeah leaned and pushed the blade a little deeper.
“What are you doing? You can’t do this!” Cracks showed beneath the surface of his skin. “Leeah, don’t you care?”
She closed her eyes unable to see the hurt she could hear painted thick in his voice. “Yes,” she said breathlessly. “I do care.”
In her mind she pictured the thread the dagger point must become, she drew the thread to his heart and bound it. Fine, fine filaments of golden thread bound his heart. It would draw away the power it found there.
“But, I love you,” he gasped, faintly.
She couldn’t stop the tears from falling. “You loved tapping me for my life force”
“I enjoyed tapping you for a lot of reasons.”
“I hate this! I hate that I find killing you so hard.”
“And me,” said Apol as the thread began its final revolution. He was silent. Flakes drifted across her skin like a caress as they rose from him and drifted towards the whirling vortex that had opened inside the dome. “Could we get it over with… the suspense is killing me?”
Raising her head so she could see his eyes, Leeah gasped. “I thought you’d gone!”

 “Sorry for my long slow fade… only I was a quip short of my quota.” Apol whispered before he fragmented and so much stolen energy streamed away from him that it rebalanced the depleted life force circulating through the universe.

I THINK A MORE FEARLESS WRITER WOULD ALLOW THE MC TO KILL THE PERSON THEY HAD GROWN TO LOVE.

AT YOUR MOST FEARLESS, WHAT WOULD YOU WRITE?


6 comments:

  1. Sort of jives with the mantra to not fall in love with your characters.

    - Eric

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eric
      I agree; you have to see them in all their gory glory ;) and prepared to let the bad stuff happen to them.

      Delete
  2. Not sure how I'd be a braver writer. This was really good Elaine.

    .....dhole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donna
      It's a tricky one - a brave writer challenges themselves and their characters.
      Thank you :D

      Delete
  3. I had wanted to kill off a character of mine, but didn't. I just couldn't do it. I love her.

    That being said, I have a couple of stories swirling in my head that would be a whole lot better if I WERE fearless in my writing.

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne
      Are you back writing? I hope so.
      I'm not a big fan of fearless but I can see how much more drama you can inflict on your characters that way.

      Delete