Tuesday 1 February 2011

IF YOUR WRITING MUSE IS UNDER THE WEATHER, YOU NEED A DIFFERENT KIND OF VACCINE

Well if it's Tuesday I'm thinking about music. I felt grey-like-the-sky this morning until I put this music on. This tunes are short with thinkers' lyrics that is a great combination.

Music has the power but you have to find the right level of intensity to light, but not to blow, your creative bulb.

10 REASONS TO TURN THE I-PLAYER ON AND TO LISTEN TO THE VACCINES:

1.    All music increases spatial ability and concentration.
2.    Music changes the way we think, reason, and create; it can relax or invigorate you.
3.    Music can lower blood pressure and boost immunity. Music therapy has been found to reduce pain and even to aid cancer recovery
4.    The lyrics can refer to timeless themes, the way good writing does.
5.    Instruments can also express emotional nuance: anger, sorrow, joy and despair so you can use music to create emotional depth in your writing.
6.    Listening to songs you love stimulates production of ‘the pleasure hormone’ dopamine – the same chemical associated with laughter, sex and good food - tasty ;).
7.    If your work is based in a particular era there is nothing like immersing yourself in the music of the period or something with the right feel
8.    Music reduces stress – check out the relaxation compilations, they sell for a reason
9.    Classical Conditioning – pick a song and make like Pavlov’s dogs – when you hear the song your creative juices will flow
10. Even if you think silence is golden, music can train you to start and keep your brain’s Theta waves flowing towards creativity and productivity by opting for lyric-free music.


The posts at Little Drifters are a great inspiration, I really recommend them.

10 comments:

  1. A great idea, but I can't write and listen to music. I have load quite a bit of music onto my computer to listen to while I write, but I land up switching it off after awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great post and sound advice (sorry for the awful pun!). I can listen to music and write, but it can't have any vocals and must be appropriate to what I'm writing.

    200 Followers Q & A Competition

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post. Wish I could write with music on - it sounds so therapeutic but when I actually try to do it, I'm a wreck LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jamara
    I love the idea that getting the music helps with the process, just not the actual writing :)

    Hi Ellie
    They say the music keeps the brain waves active encouraging concentration. I find I tune out the words but the rhythm is reflected in the writing. ;)

    Hi Lindsay
    That makes music very counter-productive. Don't let the help disturb the flow. Good luck with your writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have music on for everything other than writing and find it therapeutic, inspiring, relaxing etc. MrB is the same, which is just as well as we write in the same room and interrupt each other enough as it is!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Margo
    The music is compelling. He-who-must-not shares the work space with me - it's amazing how the productivity nose-dives, isn't it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Music. I probably never would have written my book (or any to come) without it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lindz
    Music is inspirational. Congratulations on finishing your book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I listen to music when I relax, clean, or am driving. Somehow though I can't seem to listen to it when I am concentrating on homework or writing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Summer
    You must really love the music you are listening too :)

    ReplyDelete