Wednesday 16 February 2011

CULTURE SOUP? IT'S ALL IN THE MIX WITH THE BERNARD PIVOT BLOGFEST

Today is the Bernard Pivot Blogfest hosted by Nicole Ducleroir at One Significant Moment at a Time. She is celebrating her 500 followers milestone (WOW!) with a blogfest designed to bring people together, so they can get to know more about each other.  This is Bernard Pivot's famous questionnaire.
Anyone who's watched Inside the Actor's Studio will recognise the questionnaire.  The show's host, James Lipton, asks it of every celebrity guest at the close of the interview.  The questionnaire was originally created by Bernard Pivot, a French journalist, for the series he hosted on French television from 1991-2001, called Bouillon de Culture.



If you fancy joining in these are the questions:
  1. What is your favorite word?
  2. What is your least favorite word?
  3. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally?
  4. What turns you off?
  5. What is your favorite curse word?
  6. What sound or noise do you love?
  7. What sound or noise do you hate?
  8. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?
  9. What profession would you not like to do?
  10. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?
1.            What is your favourite word? Porcelain - family in-joke -  thanks to Moby.
2.            What is your least favourite word? Moist – makes me squirm but not in a good way
3.            What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? Touch. At touching distance all other senses are heightened. Call me (Thomas) kinaesthetic.
4.            What turns you off? Nothing – I look for the positive in the negative
5.            What is your favourite curse word? FU**PI**BOLL****SH**! – I'd need to be pushed beyond my limit, but, if I need to swear I’m not big on half measures ;)
6.            What sound or noise do you love? The whispered, muted, sounds you have to strain to really hear: the first raindrops in the shower; leaves that flutter to summer’s ghost breezes; sunlight cracking old gloss paint; the murmur of the sea, at a distance.
7.            What sound or noise do you hate? Anything loud, unexpected and un-organically metallic
8.            What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?  CEO of a multi-national company
9.            What profession would you not like to do? Nursing – I faint at the thought of needles... that’s long before the sight of them!
10.         If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? “Morally good is fine with me. ”

I'm looking forward to reading and learning more about others.

48 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the needle thing, and I love what God says to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great answers! I like how you answered number 5, why do it half way. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent answers! And I'm inclined to agree with you, "moist" is a foul word.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great answers! Moist is popular no-no today, bleaugh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I never knew moist was such an offensive word. But does it make a difference when you refer to a cake as moist.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jennifer
    Needles are the where scary goes in the dark of night ;) Just is God's middle name or the title becomes him not.

    Hi Summer
    You, surely, must have noticed I don't use one word when four will do the same job ;)

    Hi Liz
    Claggy and moist are interchangeable in the hard-n-frozen-north ;)

    Hi Margo
    I second your bleugh and raise it by a shiver ;)

    Hi Patti
    My husband tried the cake argument when we were discussing the offensiveness of moist. It's the roof of the mouth claggy-cling and drip that brings out the worst in people. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lisa
    You crept in there. Moral and fair are the bases tenets :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great answers! I like your number four. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. CEO--yikes! Fluttering leaves is a great one :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know, the previous participant's answers I read had "moist" as a least favorite word, too. (And it seems that "Nurse" is not a very popular employment choice for us writer types...)

    I also know what you mean about looking for the positive in the negative. I do that all the time. (Drives the wife nuts!!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such great answers! I especially like the idea of listening for the quiet sounds and feeling their inspiration. "Moist" is a gross word. Period. And I, too, could never be a nurse. Ick.

    Thanks for playing along!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fourth time today I've come across 'moist' as a least-liked word. Great approach, looking for the positive even in the negative.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great answers. I'm with you on the needle thing. *shutters*

    ReplyDelete
  14. The noises you like are wonderful. Makes me want a nap.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Cherie
    I have to look deeper than the negative to see the cause :)

    Hi Rachel
    I'd have gone for Global Dictator but that seemed like a stretch ;)

    Hi JM
    I need to understand "why2 even more than 2what" :)

    Hi Nicole
    I hope putting moist beside period was deliberate to add that extra yeugh factor ;)

    Hi JL
    It is true - moist is too claggy to be fun. The positive would be it wasn't dry :D

    Hi Bethany
    Needles - piercing and blood - always going to make me woozy. ;)

    Hi M
    Thank you - I came over all poetical :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi JM
    Back again - I need to type more slowyly - also need to understand "why" even more than "what" :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Moist--reminds me of an episode from How I Met Your Mother! Great answers. I especially liked #6 & #10.

    ReplyDelete
  18. No needles here either, please! Great answers!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Like 'un-organically metallic!' I could never be a nurse either. Bed pans and vomit are not life's natures I want to deal with daily.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Elaine! Oh, I just love your favorite sounds, especially the murmur of the sea from a distance- that is just beautiful. :) Great blog, btw!! Look forward to reading more from you.

    ~ Noelle

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Jamie
    Soft sounds, that take some effort to hear, are wondrous :)

    Hi Laura
    Needles! *shiver They're too scary by far.

    Hi Lynn
    I have to hold my nose when there is vomit about. I'd never have made a nurse.

    Hi Noelle
    *blushes
    Glad you enjoyed reading over the blog :)

    Hi Wendy
    Morality is... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nothing turns you off? I like positive people. Nice answers!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Nomar
    True fact - Shrek, I'm with the ogre on onions - peeling back layers to find causes.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I agree. Loud, unexpected noises not only make my heart pound, I nearly jump out of my skin. Overly focused, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I hadn't thought about the squick-factor of the word "moist" but you're the second person in this blogfest to mention it and, I have to admit, it's a little off-putting. Great addition!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Plus nurses have to deal with so much moisture...

    ReplyDelete
  27. can't stand metallic sounds either. give me the murmur of the sea any day.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love those sounds too...so soothing.
    Great answers!

    ReplyDelete
  29. LOL! Everyone hates 'moist'! Hmm ... I think I've used that somewhere in my novel. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Good answers! I love it! Touch is an amazing thing!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Catherine
    A Bug Collector has to love silence too :)

    Hi VR
    The loud, and unexpected, noises squeeze my heart.

    Hi JLeigh
    Oh yes - moist is too squishy to be relished ;)

    Hi John
    As a nurse, I'd never be able to get near to any kind of sticky moisture - one glimpse at the jab kit and I'd be yelling nurse! ;)

    Hi May
    It is a little longer than a single word but the softness of silence is a treasure :)

    Hi Michelle
    Any metallic noise is alien and contrived so they stand out or cut through :)

    Hi Lydia
    Soothing organic sounds lull the spirit :)

    Hi Jessica
    In small doses you can get away with writing "moist" - it has a tendency to squ-weeze it self in everywhere ;)

    Hi Alexis
    Touch is peerless - in all forms, undeniably powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Ahhh! Moist hands! Makes me cringe! The. Worst. Word!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi HRH Samantha
    That would sure take the fine edge off my love of touch ;)

    ReplyDelete
  34. I like "I look for the positive in the negative" That's a mantra to live by.

    ReplyDelete
  35. God's words to you are delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi Tony
    I'd sure hate to be someone who looked for the negative in each positive!

    Hi Kari
    I had to think about that answer more than any other :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. LOL, moist seems to be a lot of people's least favorite word. And porcelain? Now I'm curious.

    Lovely answers all around.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi Charity
    We had a year when our son took to answering questions with "porcelain" The year he discovered deliberate humour : all autism and eye contact. What do you want for tea today? How are you feeling? :D

    ReplyDelete
  39. Great answers! Love the soft whispering sounds.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi Alison
    Thank you. The soft and whispery sounds promise so much more :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Love your answer to the noises you love - very evocative. Unexpected metallic sounds drive me crazy, too - I was in the metro (subway) the other day and this drill started up on the broken escalator next to mine; almost burst my eardrums!

    And, mmm, touching...

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hi Deniz
    The soft and near silent are wonderful. The metro drilling sounds horrendous.

    ReplyDelete
  43. So living in Needles, California would technically be a turn off? I mean realllly, if you are lights out, I would consider that to be a bit turned off. No, I don't debate that the town is a bit dusty and dull, I only reference the name. Lol

    Summer's ghost breezes - rich phrase. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Hi HowLyn
    I'm coming over all Stephen-King at the thought of living in Needles ;)
    Thanks for your kind words - :)

    ReplyDelete