Professor Lawrence Lan gave advice about making academic writing interesting. His list made me smile, but it gave me pause for thought.
Have you looked at the pages of work?
Not read – just scanned over the page to see what it looks like?
The brain does it automatically; it registers the lay of the land then focuses on the specifics.
Writers need to mix it up:
· Too many short sentences
· Too many very long sentences
· Too many sentences of the same length
· Too many short paragraphs
· Too many very long paragraphs
· Too many paragraphs of the same length
and the readers’ eyes will glaze over.
Here's to breaking up patterns and making the ride interesting for the reader.