Thursday 2 December 2010

THE 5 FOUNDATIONS OF WRITING

WRITING WITH MILITARY PRECISION 2


Can you dismantle a plot and put it back together again, in five minutes?  Read. Write. Improve. Keep at it, until you can! ;)


ARE YOU FIGHTING FIT AND READY?

1 BASIC TRAINING
Learn the skills; practise them; hone them: you may be called upon to use them for-real, one day

2 DISCIPLINE
Internal motivators will help you achieve those external word goals and literary achievements

3 LOYALTY
Loyalty to yourself is lonely; writers function best when they share the burden. As one of a team, writers support and encourage each other in times of crisis

4 ORGANISATION
Research. Know what needs to be done, plan and see it through

5 COURAGE
Writing is not an easy option, many decent people create well-written novels and get nowhere (fast or slow.) This is more than a skirmish or a series of battles: you need to be ready for the long haul. 


The McKinnons, the Yorkshire Regiment, the 3rd Marine Corp and Star-trek DS9  can't all be wrong:


"Fortes fortuna adiuvat"  :  Fortune favours the brave.   ;)

Are you feeling fortunate today?

8 comments:

  1. I'm starting to feel battle ready, but I think I still have some training to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'm still square bashing, but I have hopes. Let's see if I have courage too!
    I'm interested in what you mean by dismantling a plot ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Patti
    Basics. Without the basics all is chaos ;)

    Hi Dominic
    Perseverance, hard work and... ;)
    Plot dismantling? It is the inevitable part of finishing reading, when I know where the book started and where it ended I spend a few minutes pondering - broadly - how the author got from the first to the second. I leaf through pages looking for the pivotal moments. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. After that Out of My Box post I did yesterday? Hell yeah I'm feeling fortunate :)

    but I also think I'll be in training forever. Always more to learn and do . .

    .......dhole

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Donna
    I think your Out of My Box post was sooo cute. Maybe that is the thing about writing, you are always learning different ways to express and idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Dominic - Catching up? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Feeling fortunate? Eek! I'm still in basic training!

    ReplyDelete