Wednesday 1 December 2010

THE 4 QUALITIES YOU NEED IF YOU WANT TO BECOME A WRITER

WRITING WITH MILITARY PRECISION 1


A civilian is a person with an idea; a writer is a very different animal.

KEY QUALITIES:

STRENGTH
You carry a life on your back when you withdraw into your fantasy world

ENDURANCE
Many start but few finish their novel

DETERMINATION
When the odds stacked against you, it would be easy to pull up a chair and admire the height

COMMITMENT
Page fifty acts like an anchor, there are many distractions drawing you away from the end goal: completion - stage one.


If you posses each of these qualities, and you have the idea, the time and the patience, that is when you are ready to enlist in Twitter communication, Blog rolls and must prepare to face Facebook. You have enrolled in a comprehensive, self-improvement programme: you have determined to  become a writer.

Good luck.


I have most trouble with Commitment. The next idea glitters in my eye-line, that kind of distraction can get a person... in trouble.   ;)

15 comments:

  1. Hi Elaine: Hope you have a great writing day. I just finished my session and unclogged two scenes. So excited. Off to the day job soon. Have a most excellent day :-)

    PS: I haven't gotten over to Twitter or Face. Someday ... maybe, but not today.

    Happy Writing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ivy
    *** Three cheers on your de-cluttering session!
    Have fun with the day job. I will, most surely, have an excellent day; back at you ;)

    I'm having fun: world building. I am the architect of all I survey. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool. I look forward to hearing more about your writing day when I get home. Time to remove a bit of snow from the car, and off to the shop.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, great analogy! I don't have as much issue with commitment--in fact I can be pretty obsessive about finishing something. My problem is time and patience!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Carolina
    Good luck with your time and patience challenge. Things move at a pace way beyond our control.
    Time is a major challenge. I made more this year, it was like magic, really ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've tried twitter and I honestly don't like it. Facebook I'm touch and go.

    I'm like Carolina - I'm commited, just need to work on time and a lot more patience.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Patti
    I'm glad you are focussed. time is finite. I hate feeling torn.
    Twitter is hard-core ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are good qualities to have no matter what, and I often struggle with them all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the uncluttered new blog design. Very reader-friendly.

    You're right that anybody can have an idea--what makes a writer is commitment to making it concrete.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Karen
    I did start out with that list of qualities and the theory that all authors needed them ;)

    Hi Anne
    Thanks *blushes I loved the woodland scene, so much it took me ages to realise you couldn't see the wood for the trees ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha! There have been days when I thought I've had one or more of these qualities. Now I wish I could just have all of them at the same time!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Sherrie
    *blushes
    We need to serve them up like soup, to all wanna-be-published writers. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. great list. out of those, I think my weakness is determination. I'm not quite there in the confidence area yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is excellent!! I need to employ all of these elements into my writing routine/life.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Jemi
    :) That is where we blog followers can help: we bolster-good-confidence ;)

    Hi T. Anne
    I think we all have to work hard to live up to the list but I think they are great qualities for anyone who has to start on something extraordinary. :)

    ReplyDelete