Friday 31 May 2013

The MC's journey to self-knowledge

MAY IS HOSTED BY Hand in HandDONALD MAASS'  TWEETS ON CREATING THE PERFECT NOVEL ;)  and SECTIONS INSPIRED BY THESE:

M.K. Jemisin
DONALD MASS WRITE TIP #75 ¾

 What are five stages on your MC’s journey to self-knowledge?  Build one external event to strongly provoke or dramatize each.

"Kella!" Ronague whispered. His lips shaped my name against my ear. His fingers dug into my shoulders. “Treaty, be damned! I can’t let you go. I will stop you."
I froze. I had to go – my life was forsworn. First, I had to find a way to diffuse the boiling mass of loneliness, pent up anger, self-loathing that had only ever been held back by a thin new love. Now, he was desperate.  In less than a heartbeat, he would be unreachable. This moment was all I had. No weapon, or knot, would hold him back if he turned his strength on me - if he lost control. But, how many times had he saved my life? How many ways had he shown how much he loved me? I wrapped my arms around him… rested my cheek over his heart. Every organ inside me burned. How could I drag myself from him when all I wanted to do was stay?

The five stages of self-knowledge:
pre-contemplation
contemplation
preparation
action
maintenance

WHERE IS YOUR MC ON THE JOURNEY TO SELF-KNOWLEDGE?

I would like to say thank you to everyone who read my May posts - there have a been a lot of you. Thank you to all those who commented too - that was very encouraging. The small sections took a lot of preparation and work to get them written, edited and posted. This month has tied in with my writing goal of experimenting with characterisation. For the next few months, at least, I will be returning to my normal schedule so I will be posting three times a week.

4 comments:

  1. Might be preparation? LOL
    Have a great day
    ~Summer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Summer
      I think you could be right ;)

      Delete
  2. What a fun, romantic excerpt! I'm a big fan of Donald Maass. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jill
      Thank you. I have to say I too am one of the Maassive ;)

      Delete