Monday 17 May 2010

IF WISHES WERE...

Fairy God Mother?
No!

Really?

You’ve come to grant me wishes, but only if they’re real? Let me think this through:
I wish I could do everything better the first time through. Imagine the time I’d save, the endless sucking on the pencil which really can’t be good.

I wish on-line supermarket shopping was as fast and efficient as it seems to be right up to the moment you begin to wade through the catalogue pages. Think if I had the freezer space for the multipack offers that sound like such good value for money if only my other house was a larder.

I wish every door in my house closed properly and that the stripped-pine original fixtures didn’t come with detachable handles and more screw holes than Swiss cheese. Imagine my house without the clunk of kitchen door against frame.

I wish pounds spent on chocolate didn’t, quite as closely, correlate to pounds gained. No need to follow that thought anywhere but to the gym.

I wish I had time, enough time to appreciate the passing of time. Imagine feeling you were the perfect partner/parent/employee/housekeeper/gardener and writer rather than, at best, an overstrained Stretch Armstrong and, at worst, torn with the rack-acute pangs of guilt.

I wish I could read every book that catches my eye in the book shop, the ones I stroke while craning to read enough information to entice but not to induce a buying-rage need. Imagine being able to immerse yourself in the words and worlds without the nagging thought there is something else you should be doing.

I wish I was paid to do the things I love the most. Imagine being paid to write. This spectre’s chills are seismic quakes.

But, if I really am limited and I have to narrow down to two, then I’d have to wish for global peace and a cure for autism.

Are you sure you don’t have just one more wish going spare? I have an idea how I’d use it. I might wish for a literary agent. Just the one, I'm not greedy. Apart from needing the extra wish of course ;) 

DO YOU HAVE A WISH OR TWO WHICH YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE GRANTED? NO GUARANTEES, OF COURSE, BUT I’LL PUT THEM TO MY FAIRY GOD MOTHER BECAUSE... YOU NEVER KNOW!

13 comments:

  1. I wish...you get one of your limited wishes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my wish would have to be time - the ability to slow it down, to enjoy it, to have more of it!

    And that every child could be healthy and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had a Tim Tam to go with my cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm wishing to to get an agent for my MG story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish researchers would find a cure for retinitis pigmentosis, so my sister could see. And I'd like a MacBook :P Hope all your dreams come true!

    ReplyDelete
  6. DL :) You are kind. I'd settle for any of them, really. They all seem fairly unreachable.
    Jemi - thanks for stopping by, you are always thoughtful and insightful.
    I'll post my biggest regret here as it is so apt: every night, when I was pregnant with Sweetpea, I wished for three things and I got them all. I wished the baby would be happy, healthy and bright: despite the autism he is every one of those things. I wished for years that I had made my list more expansive.
    Charmaine :) My sister could help you out there, she lives in the home of the Tim Tam biscuit! You could visit her - overlooking the bay in Frankston.
    Rena - I'll wish for you, if you wish for me, too ;)
    Nicole, Thank you. I'll second you in your wish for your sister. Good luck with the hope for a MacBook, this will probably be achievable soonest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a delicious, creative, and funny post! It sounds like all your wishes are totally doable, which is great! My wish is for things for like health, food, etc. No biggie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think one of the nice things about being a writer is that I get to read without feeling guilty - it's necessary to hone our craft. So read away!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Samuel, Good luck with those do-able wishes, I think several of your other ones have already come true. :)

    Susan - even if all I had to do in life was guard the house I'd still get into trouble over reading too much. The burglar and Father Christmas could wander in and out with with my three bags full and I would be lost to it all ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with ya, I wish to make a living writing novels. Oh, and world peace of course. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. May all your wishes come true.

    I wish for good health and happiness, for all folk who have touched my life online and off.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Karen - making a living writing lives: that is a life!

    Hi Glynis - Thank you.

    Good luck and easy days of writing to everyone who is trekking the up hill path to writing and getting published!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Time and motivation to get to everything done.

    More good friends to talk with.

    Not impossible wishes; right?

    .........dhole

    ReplyDelete