Thursday 15 December 2011

STOLEN: INCLUDING 9 THINGS LEARNED

AUSTIN KLEON:
A WRITER WHO DRAWS

































Austin Kleon's book How To Steal Like An Artist is out in March 2012. It is on my to be read list. 
I love all things writing, poetical and artistic. Take a look at his website, he weaves words and images with presence.
His poster (which started this off) is amazing, I loved his advice.


What I loved even more than his calendar - which I haven't shown here - was his  notebook, which he describes as his Logbook. Austin suggests you set targets but also that you celebrate, in the log, everything you succeed in doing. 




The Logbook is not intended to be a conventional diary. 


DO YOU KEEP NOTES ON A CALENDAR OR A LOG OF DAILY EVENTS?

8 comments:

  1. I don't keep a log book- I do keep a journal, maybe I should try this idea. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not on purpose, but somehow my two blogs serve this function... :-/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Elaine! Yes, I keep notes on a calendar. I have a calendar above my desk and one on the refrigerator. I finally got my husband a calendar for Christmas this year so he can write his important dates! I'm always finding out stuff he has to do on the day of because he writes them down on scraps of paper and loses it, LoL. Then I never know what's going on! Everyone needs a calendar. :)

    I journal, too, and that's where I usually write down my writing goals. But if it's a submission deadline, I make sure to write that on my office calendar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't, but maybe I should. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Huh! Very interesting. Thanks for a thought provoking post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Summer
    I like that you keep a journal. Is that like a diary or a collection just to feed your writing?

    Hi Misha
    It is funny how the Blogs can act as log of works. :)

    Hi Laura
    I love the idea of the journal but I can see why the essential deadlines need to be somewhere much more visible.

    Hi Lydia
    That's what I was thinking about the Logbook. I have a lovely unlined notebook that would make a good place to start. It is ringbound too. That amount of space means I could stick things that have inspired me in there too.

    Hi Margo
    *aw shucks! :D I'm going to have fun keeping a Log of things achieved. I think it will motivate me to get even more done. At least I'll get to celebrate my reading, TV viewing and radio hour as essentials in my day too :)

    Hi Laura
    Me too! We keep a planner for work and events, but it's more spread sheet than calendar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is really cool. I don't keep a diary or a log book, I just text or email notes to myself for things i want to remember whether its bread at the store or a new plot twist.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Vicki
    I do that too, if I can't write the idea into my notebooks or add a word into my lexicon, out and about.

    ReplyDelete