Sunday 3 April 2011

CREATING CHARACTERS - Arlee's A to Z - CONSTANT COMPARISON CREATES CONTEMPT

Picture perfect or fully rounded characters?
CREATING CHARACTERS:
How well do you know your characters?
Physical
Personality
Temperament
Background
Relationships
Roles
History
Social traits
Point of view
Values

Their responses:
Intelligence
Creativity
Mannerisms
Idiosyncrasies
Interests
Likes and dislikes

How does the plot develop the character?

How does the character affect the plot and its resolution?

HOW WAS THE CHARACTER TREATED? WHAT IS THEIR MOTIVATION?

CONSTANTLY COMPARED:
If a character has been compared with others regularly some possible effects are:
sibling rivalry
inferiority complex
hatred
jealousy 



WATER
An introverted and phlegmatic personality may be made up of these temperaments:
Unsociable
Passive
Careful
Thoughtful
Peaceful
Controlled
Reliable
Even
Calm

This kind of character’s emotional response is likely to be:
Nervousness
Pensiveness
Passivity
Tolerance


LEXICON OF EMOTIONS - CONTINUED ;)
calculating, callous, calm, cantankerous, capricious, captivated, carefree, careless, casual, catty, cautious, centred, certain, challenged, charming, cheeky, cheerful, cherished, childish, chivalrous, chuffed, churlish, civil, clueless, coerced, combative,  commanding, committed, compelled, competitive, complacent, compliant, concerned, condescending, confident, conflicted, confrontational, confused, conscientious, constant, consumed, contemptuous, content, contrary, contrite, controlling, convinced, cool, cooperative, cordial, cornered, courageous, courteous, courtly, cowardly, coy, crabby, craven, crazed, crazy, credulous, critical, cross, crude, cruel, cultured, cunning, curious, cursed, cynical


HOW ARE YOU FEELING TODAY?

8 comments:

  1. I am feeling challenged (actually, it's my immune system being challenged), confused (no doubt due to the battle raging between the forces of sick and well), a little crabby, and cursed - probably for being too smug about making it thru the winter without being sick. Jokes on me :)

    this was good btw!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marcy
    Crabby and challenged in the immune department sounds miserable - hope you are healthy and full of beans too ;)

    Hi Jamara
    I'm glad you are excited. I'm stuck in pensive and it suxs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Content, I now have all the C words I need for my characters :)

    Wagging Tales - Blog for Writers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charmaine Clancy? I believe you have a head start when it comes to the letter c ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm grateful this post is easy to read. You have a good amount of white space, diagrams, pictures. It makes the topic easier to understand.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Angela
    I think layout is as important as content. I hope you found it useful too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nicely done, I'm a bit crazy and courageous at the moment, after I finish these chores and can craft, then I will be calm! ;-D

    ReplyDelete