Saturday 2 April 2011

BEHAVIOURS ARE THE CHARACTER TRAITS' ACCESSORIES - Arlee's A to Z - Wearing letter B

Background: family, upbringing, schooling and peers shape our characters.

The influence of parents and backgrounds are seen on interlinking spectrum

from hostile to warm contrasted with controlling to permissive.

Backgrounds breed behaviour and a lot of emotions beginning with letter B:

bad tempered, baffled,  baited, balanced, bashful, battle weary, beaten, beatific, bedazzled, bedevilled, befuddled, beguiled, beholden, beleaguered, belittled, belligerent, beloved, bemused, benevolent, bereaved, bereft, berserk, beset, beside myself, besotted, bewildered, bewitched, biased, bilious, bitchin', bitchy, bitter, blasé, bleak, blessed, blighted, blind, blissful, bloody minded, blown away, boastful, bodacious, boggled, boisterous, bold, bored, bossy, brave, brazen, bullish, burdened, burned out.

Personality hangs in the wardrobe: it is the behaviour we dress ourselves in. People can, and do, vary the appearance of their personality. As most teenagers are happy to prove, the personality traits they show can change to suit the occasion and the relationship.
Temperament describes the way someone reacts.
Both personality and temperament together define our attitudes.
Temperament includes the idea of emotional reaction. 

Different societies consider emotions appropriate... or not.

ICE 
A cold, melancholic personality maybe made up of these temperaments:
Moody
Anxious
Rigid
Sober
Pessimistic
Reserved

This kind of character’s emotional response is likely to be:
Indifference
Annoyance
Hatred

When world building, the writer can create the norms and expectations of a whole society. This can be used to add an additional obstacle, to heighten the stress and to raise the stakes.

Personality is the general behaviour we wear.

*I owe a lot of what I think to Chris Gamble of Mind Kind Education

21 comments:

  1. This is a great post for the challenge Elaine! I just got a few ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Summer
    I'm glad you found something useful. I found Chris Gamble inspirational. He was teaching us how to make a real difference when we teach and about the challenges that teachers face. Totally adaptable to character building for the novel :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh. I'm going to have bookmark all your posts! Brilliant.

    Ellie Garratt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ellie
    You are my new favourite person ;) Your comments made me smile - and made the research time all worthwhile :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I welcome Chris and Nicholas to the Blog.
    I can't find a link to a blog so I can't pop over to say Hi.
    So: HI! :D
    Thanks for the follow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how you defined personality and temperament. It's amazing how much outside influences can have on our personality and temperament.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a wonderful post all those B words had me baffled. Well done will look forward to "C"

    Thanks for your kind comment.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this post. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a fantastic post Elaine. Very creative AND helpful! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just found you today.. and I love the list of b's... I am just writing a short story.. that I began parts of on my blog last year during the a-z challenge... I think your list will help...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent post and I really love that picture too! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I never would have thought there were that many emotions that started with B

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are right. There are so many aspects to creating a character. Or even being a character . . .

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like this; Thanks for sharing! I want to wear happy today, but probably wore tired, but outlook is good. Informative and well done~

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is an interesting summary of background and behavior. I don't try to get that deep into my screenplay characters much unless they are the main characters or characters that are an integral part of the story.

    However, this post makes me look at them differently in development.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an in depth post. I think you're right background come in a variety of ways and be shown in a variety of ways. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This challenge is proving to be a lot of fun! Love the psychedelic pic!

    Wagging Tales - Blog for Writers

    ReplyDelete
  18. Man you came up with some Bs for us. Well done Elaine!

    Thank you for travelling to BAngladesh with me.

    Denise<3

    L'Aussie Travel A - Z Challenge Posts

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks you all for the comments.
    The whole approach to understanding character came from a three day course - Continuing Professional Development (CPD) at school - to understand the child is to be able to teach them.
    Similar is true of the characters we write about.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love what you say about personality. What teenagers do is a fine example.

    ReplyDelete