Ways to improve your writing – these are the ones I’m working on ;)
- Use the active voice - I wrote a book, not, the book was written by me.
- Check with the grammar sites – that way, you’ll know exactly which rules you’re breaking.
- The big words can stay if they're necessary – but evaluate every one of them. If a small word can convey the sense, let it.
- Think about the reader: write for them but not down to them.
- Keep your paragraphs short.
- Use imagery to build emotional impact.
- Use adverbs sparingly - like chilli, enough to add flavour but not so much it destroys the meal.
- Join a local writing group or find some awesome readers for whom distance is no obstacle J
- Avoid writing slang, it changed yesterday, already!
- And edit
How has your writing day been?
Mine was pretty good :D