Friday 19 June 2009

Paper and red pen editing

I cannot believe the difference it makes.

I had the first three chapters lying around - like you do - picked up the orange felt tip pen my son left on the coffee table and - began a revolution.

I've read others say that re-editing on a paper copy is a good idea but I never really believed it would make much difference - OMG

It is an totally different experience.

With my handy check list of banned words - was, as, just, feel, felt and any other words in their family - the editing starts again.

I want to write like Cormac McCarthy - streams of conscious thought - but I guess standard English might sell better with the YA market.

1 comment:

  1. It does help doesn't it? Have fun hacking away at your banned words. I know the feeling. :)

    ReplyDelete