Thursday 20 September 2012

THOUGHTFUL THURSDAY - 9 FACE SAVING THOUGHTS


banksy d*face 
Outside, among your fellows, among strangers, you must preserve appearances, a hundred things you cannot do, but inside, the terrible freedom. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

This Thursday, I’ve been having an even more thoughtful time than usual.

I dived deep into the subject of Face: the superficial appearance, voiced beliefs and attitudes that may, or may not, be an accurate reflection of a person’s character.

(I'm knee deep in this topic, that's Thoughtful Thursday for you.)

FACE:
· Everyone works to maintain face
· The individual’s face is shaped and reshaped depending on who is there to see it.
·  Presenting the right face can be the difference between being accepted or rejected.
·  When surrounded by others, the face shown by any individual can a reflection of others in the group.
·  Face is one way the subtleties of power is seen even when the group is, theoretically, made up of equals.
·  Face affects behaviour.
·  The biggest struggle a person deals with during the course of their day is to understand the public face every other individual presents to the world.
·  The difference between the protected, private and true identity of an individual and their public face can be the truth behind two people’s relationship or a major cause of aggression.
·  The ability to always present an appropriate face is the highest – and lowest – form of communication.

FACE IS SO BRITTLE IT IS IMPORTANT TO MAKE SURE IT CRACKS... I PLAN FOR IT.

HOW IS YOUR PUBLIC FACE HOLDING UP FOR YOU?

2 comments:

  1. What a fascinating post, and topic. I often wonder what others think of me, especially when I do or say something offensive (a problem I have occasionally lol), but generally I go about my business not thinking that much about my public face or persona.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen
      Thank you :)
      I think everyone is most concerned about how people perceive them when they have unintentionally caused offence.
      I'm always aware of my persona because I notice it changing between situations involving family, friends and work.

      Delete