4 A DAY WAY
Someone in my local area is a bit of a genius: they devised and launched a volunteer scheme called The 4-a-day Way.
When I hear the words "volunteer scheme" I panic, sometimes even to the point of crossing the road and finding the door furniture intensely fascinating.
Pay-it-forward just got simple.
The idea is that as many people as possible agree to do four small things every day:
- one piece of litter - pick up and bin (2.25 million pieces of litter are dropped daily in the UK)
- one "give way" - allow someone to go before you whether walking or in the car etc (many incidents of road rage, as well as other kinds of accidents, have an element of "me first" in them)
- one penny - put one penny away (in a jar) to be used for someone else's benefit (There are 60 million people in the UK x 1p? Enough said!)
- one "helping hand" - a good deed eg holding the door open for someone else, returning the harassed parent's shopping trolley etc (Psychologist, Michael Poulin, believes making a concrete improvement for another can reduce our own personal stress levels)
A WRITER'S 4 A DAY WAY
• one significant comment - inspirational, meaningful, or encouraging
• one follow - look for someone new to the writing to follow every day
• one tweet or retweet or review - to help a fellow writer
• one "helping hand" - I set up What are you writing: "Tell Me About It!" I'm going to switch this to a separate page on the blog
See I'm feeling useful and de-stressed already ;)
Here is a significant question too:
WHICH BOOK DO YOU WISH YOU'D WRITTEN?